Available for Interviews: Dr. Franchell Hamilton
Dr. Franchell Hamilton, MD, FACS, FASMBS, FOMA, is the Founder of NeuroSwitch™ Weigh Loss–a place for people to receive treatments ranging from bariatric surgery and medical weight loss to hormone therapy. Dr. Hamiltion is also the author of two books; Transformation Is a Mindset: The Journey to Changing Your Input and Your World and And the Best Diet Is . . . .
What Dr. Hamilton could say on
How Emotions Play a Role in :
New! Updated obesity treatment guidelines for children and teens include behavioral therapy, lifestyle changes (for the whole family), medications, and surgery (for some) young people.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics says more than 14.4 million children and teens live with obesity. Children who are overweight or obese are at higher risk for asthma, sleep apnea, bone & joint problems, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Updated American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines for treating obesity urge prompt use of behavior therapy and lifestyle changes. They say surgery and medications should be used for some young people. Growth charts from the early 60s-80s are still being used and must be updated.
- The guidelines, published this month in the Journal of Pediatrics, are the first comprehensive update to the academy’s obesity treatment guidelines in 15 years. They guide the treatment of children as young as two and through their teen years.
- The guidelines acknowledge that obesity is complex and tied to access to nutritious foods and health care, among other factors.
- Treatment for younger children should focus on behavior and lifestyle treatment for the entire family, including nutrition support and increased physical activity. For children 12 and older, weight loss medications are appropriate, in addition to health behavior therapy and lifestyle treatment, the academy says. Teens 13 and older with severe obesity should be evaluated for surgery, according to the guidelines.
- New to these recommendations are several new medication management strategies that have proven very successful in treating obesity as a chronic disease for adults and are now being recommended for use in children and adolescents.
Stop the Regain
Your Health Transformed Podcast
Interview: Dr. Franchell Hamilton
Dr. Hamilton is a Triads Award-Winning, Board Certified Surgeon who gave up operating on the stomach to operating on the mind to treat chronic conditions such as obesity and diabetes. She is the author of two books, Transformation is a mindset: The Journey to Changing Your Input and Your World and And the Best Diet Is . . . , and now educates other providers around the world on what she discovered in her practice through her master class.
Dr. Hamilton is passionate about helping to change the lives of those she meets through practicing medicine and consulting. As a once-practicing bariatric surgeon, Dr. Hamilton has firsthand experience addressing the challenges and pain points of patients being treated for cardiometabolic diseases. She founded NeuroSwitch™ Weigh Loss—a place for her patients to receive treatments ranging from bariatric surgery and medical weight loss to hormone therapy.
Dr. Hamilton is a podcast host on Your Health Transformed that discusses various popular and innovative health topics to challenge our current way of thinking about medicine.
Director of Public Relations
Success In Media, Inc.