Carol Barkes, CPM, MBA, is a conflict resolution expert, mediator, national speaker, educator and bestselling author who uniquely applies neuroscience to the fields of conflict resolution and negotiations. Her expert perspective is always fresh and relevant.
about Communication and Racial Issues:
- Keep politics and conspiracy theories out of the conversation. No doubt both are at play, yet changing the topic to these matters ignores the opportunity to really talk about matters which need to be addressed. Further, to do so wastes time and a possible opportunity to create positive change.
- Recognize that we all have biases and many people have privileges others will never be afforded. This is a sad but a true reality that those who have privileges struggle to understand. I experienced this when I married my ex-husband. He was from Costa Rica and had a Hispanic last name. I am Caucasian with Polish and Swedish ancestry, and had never had a concern about discrimination. This changed when I took his last name. It did not take long for people to treat me differently, exclude me from events, or make assumptions about me that had never occurred previously in my life. I was shocked as I had no clue what that would feel like or that it was even “a thing.” It was isolating, sad, frustrating, and disappointing. Because you haven’t experienced such a thing, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
- Know that it is everyone’s responsibility to be the change—not simply the group being oppressed.
- Remember we can be profoundly different from others and still find ways to connect and share meaningful interactions.
- Limit your intake of the news and other propaganda meant to spread hate and fear.
Interviews: Carol Barkes
Carol Barkes, CPM, MBA, is a trend-setting mediator, business executive and educator specializing in the use of neuroscience to improve business performance, interpersonal communications, negotiation and conflict resolution processes for optimally successful results. She is also a speaker, educator, and author of the bestselling book: Success Breakthroughs: Leading Entrepreneurs and Professionals Reveal Their Secrets for Breaking Through to Success.
Director of Public Relations
Success In Media, Inc.