Available for Interviews: Glenn Matecun.
Glenn Metecun, CELA, is certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation. Here are some talking points the myths about long-term care:
- “I have Medicare and it will cover my long-term care costs.”
False. Medicare has very limited coverage for long-term care rehab. (The solution is to plan ahead and use Medicare as a gap coverage.)
- If I apply to Medicaid to pay for a nursing home, I will lose my home.
False. There are great options to protect your home from the nursing home and the government.
- “I have to spend every dollar before I qualify for nursing home Medicaid benefits.”
- False. For a married couple we can usually protect 100%.
- “We hear it all the time, there’s a “5 yr look-back period . . . meaning, if I give away assets in the previous 5 yr period, I will be disqualified from receiving benefits.”
False. The government has provided options to allow assets to be restructured to apply for benefits.
- “I’m in a second marriage. I have a pre-nup so my assets are protected if my spouse needs long-term care.”
False. Assets of both spouses are considered when applying for a nursing home benefit regardless of having a pre-nup.
Interview: Glenn Matecun
PR Managing Editor
Success In Media, Inc.
Glenn R. Matecun, CELA
Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the
National Elder Law Foundation
Matecun, Thomas & Olson, PLC
Attorneys & Counselors
Visit us at: www.MichiganEstatePlans.com