Available for Interviews: Paul Tracey
Paul Tracey is the Founder & CEO of Innovative Technologies, a Managed Security Service Provider in New York, and is a national speaker, cyber security educator, small business advocate, and author of Delete The Hacker Playbook and Cyber Storm.
What Paul Tracey can say in an interview on
Zombie Cookies and How to Best Protect Your System:
- Cookies are not inherently dangerous however they can be used in a malicious manner.
- Persistent cookies remain on a computer indefinitely, Persistent cookies are used for two primary purposes:
- Authentication. These cookies track whether a user is logged in and under what name. They also streamline login information, so users don’t have to remember the site.
- Tracking. These cookies track multiple visits to the same site over time.
They can’t infect computers However, some cyberattacks can hijack cookies and enable access to your browsing sessions.
- Zombie cookies are from a third party and are permanently installed on users’ computers, even when they opt not to install cookies. They also reappear after they’ve been deleted. When zombie cookies first appeared, they were created from data stored in the Adobe Flash storage bin. They are sometimes called “flash cookies” and are extremely difficult to remove.
- Removing cookies can help you mitigate your risks of privacy breaches. It can also reset your browser tracking and personalization.
- You can anonymize your web use by using a virtual private network (VPN). These services tunnel your web connection to a remote server that poses as you. Cookies will be labeled for that remote server in another country, instead of your local computer.
Regardless of how you handle cookies, it’s best to remain on guard and clean up your cookies often.
Interview: Paul Tracey
Paul Tracey is the Founder and CEO of Innovative Technologies, a Managed Security Service Provider in New York, and is a national speaker, cyber security educator, small business advocate, and author of Delete The Hacker Playbook and Cyber Storm.
Nearly a successful decade in business, Innovative Technologies continues to help clients ensure they have security and compliance procedures in place and well-trained staff. They have earned the reputation as a leading managed security services provider (MSSP) in upstate New York.
Tracey has been featured in MSP Success Magazine and on the Success Spotlight podcast and also runs an MSSP dedicated to helping small and medium-size businesses protect their reputation, money, and customers from cybercriminals.
Director of Public Relations
Success In Media, Inc.