Available for Interviews: Dr. Mimi Secor
Dr. Mimi is a fitness and health advocate who is passionate about helping women to lose weight and feel great, and is the author of Healthy & Fit at Any Age: A Guide to Creating nutrition, exercise, and mindset habits for busy women!
What Dr. Secor Can Say in an Interview on
Fitness for Senior Citizens:
Generally, resolutions for older adults should target becoming healthier—focusing less on dramatic weight loss and more on making healthy choices and developing healthy habits. Here are some recommendations:
- Make healthier food choices. Minimize alcohol and excessive “junk” carbs. Focus on lean protein, veggies, fruit and whole grains/legumes, and small amounts of healthy fats like avocado, olive oil, nuts.
- Get regular exercise. This should include cardio 150 mins a week, and strength training twice a week. This reduces muscle loss, increases strength, coordination, and balance.
- Get adequate sleep. Sleep is essential to health, immunity, and even weight maintenance.
- Drink adequate water (8 eight ounces a day). Fatigue, hunger, mental confusion may be related to inadequate hydration, especially in older adults. Thirst diminishes over time, so hydration must be emphasized.
- Reduce stress. This can reduce cortisol levels which may facilitate weight loss.
- Stretch at least 3–5 times a week. This reduces stiffness and joint pain and increases mobility.
- Minimize injuries and work around chronic health challenges such as past injuries, stiffness, and medical problems.
- Consider working with a PT or trainer to prevent injuries, learn proper techniques, and increase motivation/accountability.
- Seek medical clearance before starting any exercise program.
Along with following the above, having the right mindset and support can help older adults achieve all their health and fitness goals.
Interview: Dr. Mimi Secor
Dr. Mimi Secor, DNP, FNP-BC, FAANP, FAAN, is a Nurse Practitioner, Educator, Health & Fitness Advocate specializing in Women’s Health for over 40 years. She is a sought-after national speaker and consultant who has been featured in numerous local and national media outlets and is still actively educating advanced practice clinicians and consumers around the country and the world. She is the author of the #1 International bestselling book, Debut a New You: Transforming Your Life at Any Age, and the newest title: Healthy & Fit at Any Age: A Guide to Creating nutrition, exercise, and mindset habits for busy women! is now available.
Director of Public Relations
Success In Media, Inc.