Available for Interviews: Dr. Colleen Cira, Psy.D.
Dr. Colleen Cira, Psy.D., is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist who specializes in Women and Trauma and has worked with hundreds of people struggling with mental health issues.
Talking Points From Dr. Colleen Cira on the
Added Mental Health Benefit to Getting the Vaccine:
- COVID has put anyone who takes it seriously in a state of chronic nervous system dysregulation. Essentially, our nervous system serves to keep us safe. So whenever we experience something as threatening or dangerous, our stress response goes off. This is essential when we are experiencing acute and imminent danger, but when our nervous system never has a chance to turn off and reset—like in the middle of a global pandemic spanning 18+ months—it can wreak havoc on our minds, bodies, and souls.
- The constant worry about the health and safety of the people we love and ourselves has been *incredibly* taxing, saturating our bloodstream with chemicals that become toxic when the nervous system is constantly going off. So when someone becomes vaccinated and believes (as the data shows) that they now don’t have to worry about hospitalization or death—that COVID is now reduced to a bad flu, bad cold, or possibly even no symptoms at all—that relief is REAL. It’s real emotionally because it’s also real CHEMICALLY.
- Our nervous system finally has the ability to let its guard down, turn off, and reset which gives our bodies the opportunity to recover and ultimately heal from 18+ months of toxic worry and chronic stress.
- This trend will continue for anyone who gets the vaccine who understands and listens to the science/experts about the dangers of COVID and the real safety and benefits of the vaccines. For these folks, the vaccine is an absolute gift, allowing people to take a big, deep breath for the first time in a long time.
- However, for people who get the vaccine out of obligation or because of a mandate—who don’t believe the science/experts, who don’t take COVID and/or the vaccine seriously—we will likely see no improvement or regression in these folks’ mental health.
In the News
Interview: Dr. Colleen Cira, Psy.D.
Dr. Colleen Cira received both her Master’s and Doctorate from The Illinois School of Professional Psychology and is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist in the State of Illinois. She’s the Founder and Executive Director of Cira Center for Behavioral Health, PC, a boutique group practice specializing in Women and Trauma with locations in Chicago and Oak Park.
She was named one of the “Top 100 Women in Chicago Making a Difference,” by Today’s Chicago Woman. Dr. Cira is a trauma and anxiety expert, clinical supervisor, writer, speaker, consultant, activist, wife, and Mommy to two little ones.
Director of Publicity
Success In Media, Inc.