Available for Interviews: Dr. Franchell Hamilton
Dr. Franchell Hamilton, MD, FACS, FASMBS, FOMA, is the Founder of NeuroSwitch™ Weigh Loss–a place for people to receive treatments ranging from bariatric surgery and medical weight loss to hormone therapy. Dr. Hamiltion recently released, Curiosity is the Best Weight Loss Medicine: Observations from a Bariatric Surgeon.
What Dr. Hamilton could say on
Stress & Low Socioeconomics:
Obesity and excessive weight gain.
What is the journey to that unfortunate reality?
For people with this problem, a typical goal at the start of the new year is to lose weight but is oftentimes a failed mission, so to speak. Why? The main reasons are either they don’t understand how weight loss works or they are doing it the wrong way.
What Obesity or Excessive
Weight Gain is Not due to
- It is not a lack of willpower
- It is not the inability to control calories
- It is not from not exercising enough
- It is not too many calories coming in / not enough going out
MANY reasons contribute to obesity; some include one’s:
- excessive calories
- type of food consumed
- sedentary lifestyle
9 Key Takeaways
- Technological advancements also contribute to our lack of movement. Unless we make a concerted effort to get more movement in our lives, it’s easy to get comfortable with a sedentary lifestyle. Other challenges that challenge us to get more exercise are hectic family schedules, long work hours,
- The standard American diet is terrible as far as nutrition is concerned. It exists in the middle aisles of grocery stores, what we give our kids to bring to school for snacks and lunch, and our reliance on fast food or other easy processed food options.
- Healthier food tends to be more expensive, so people who are in a lower socioeconomic bracket it is more difficult to access more nutritious, healthier foods.
- Most commercials advertising food are junk food: sodas, cereals, snacks, and fast food restaurants, which makes our brains want this junk food even more—we live in what many professionals in this subject area call an obesogenic environment. Our current lifestyle is more prone to excessive weight gain than ever before.
- If one is predisposed to any number of diseases, he or she must fight hard not to become obese while living in our obesogenic environment. Unless this person is on medication or an appropriate regimen to tame this, he or she will be more prone to weight gain.
- Some people are not prone to losing weight with exercise. However, one should still exercise for other benefits: stress relief, enjoyment, heart health, hypertension, etc. Exercise will also help prevent the regain of weight.
- Most of the problem is the REGAIN, which is a BRAIN problem. Our brain dictates many things, so if we can address the brain problem, we can fix the regain of weight loss. It will trigger the KILL-SWITCH, and stop that healthy habit that simply doesn’t work for the individual.
- Find exercises that you like. The same is true with diets. If your brain doesn’t like the Keto Diet or the Atkins Diet, for example, you will not be able to sustain this long-term. One must ask themselves, Can I do this for life?
- Healthier options or “healthy swaps” are the best way to get on track with eating. It’s easier and friendlier on the brain. It’s not you; it’s the brain!
Where people can learn more about how to stop the regain and maintain weight loss:
Interview: Dr. Franchell Hamilton
Dr. Hamilton is a Triads Award-Winning, Board Certified Surgeon who gave up operating on the stomach to operating on the mind to treat chronic conditions such as obesity and diabetes. Dr. Hamiltion recently released, Curiosity is the Best Weight Loss Medicine: Observations from a Bariatric Surgeon. She is also the author of two other books; Transformation Is a Mindset: The Journey to Changing Your Input and Your World and And the Best Diet Is . . . .
Dr. Hamilton is passionate about helping to change the lives of those she meets through practicing medicine and consulting. As a once-practicing bariatric surgeon, Dr. Hamilton has firsthand experience addressing the challenges and pain points of patients being treated for cardiometabolic diseases. She founded NeuroSwitch™ Weigh Loss—a place for her patients to receive treatments ranging from bariatric surgery and medical weight loss to hormone therapy.
Dr. Hamilton is a podcast host on Your Health Transformed that discusses various popular and innovative health topics to challenge our current way of thinking about medicine.
Director of Public Relations
Success In Media, Inc.