Dr. Colleen Cira helps people with many psychological and behavioral difficulties. One of her primary areas of specialty is the treatment of relationship problems and sexual abuse/assault.
Here are a few things she could say in an interview about #MeToo:
- The #MeToo movement has been incredible in so many ways – calling out perpetrators, holding perpetrators accountable, helping to remove some of the stigma associated with being a survivor among many others – but it’s not enough.
- Sexual Violence is a SOCIETAL problem and a SYSTEMATIC problem, NOT just a Woman’s Problem.
- We need more than just one group of people (women) talking about this.
- We need men to speak up and be allies.
- We need the legal system to change to make it easier for women to come forward.
- It puts pressure on women to disclose their sexual trauma histories.
- It exacerbates this idea that women should be sharing their stories, confronting their perpetrators, etc when this doesn’t necessarily help, or even advisable, for every survivor.
- It inadvertently devalues survivors who do not disclose.
- People who disclose are viewed as brave, strong, etc which only serves to further isolate, shame and criticize those who aren’t ready to disclose yet.
- We should be applauding all survivors for simply surviving, rather than whether or not they share their story with the world.
Available for Interviews: Dr. Colleen Cira
Success In Media