Available for Interviews: Dr. Mimi Secor.
Dr. Mimi Secor is Nurse Practitioner from the Boston area. She has been specializing in Women’s Health for over 40 years now, is a national speaker and consultant, and is an international bestselling author of Debut a New You: Transforming Your Life At Any Age.
What Dr. Secor Can Say in an Interview on
Fitness Resolutions We Can Keep:
Generally, resolutions for older adults should target becoming healthier—focusing less on dramatic weight loss and more on making healthy choices and developing healthy habits. Here are some recommendations:
- Make healthier food choices. Minimize alcohol and excessive “junk” carbs. Focus on lean protein, veggies, fruit and whole grains/legumes, and small amounts of healthy fats like avocado, olive oil, nuts.
- Get regular exercise. This should include cardio 150 mins a week, and strength training twice a week. This reduces muscle loss, increases strength, coordination and balance.
- Get adequate sleep. Sleep is essential to health, immunity and even weight maintenance.
- Drink adequate water (8 eight ounces a day). Fatigue, hunger, mental confusion may be related to inadequate hydration especially in older adults. Thirst diminishes over time, so hydration must be emphasized.
- Reduce stress. This can reduce cortisol levels which may facilitate weight loss.
- Stretch at least 3–5 times a week. This reduces stiffness and joint pain and increases mobility.
- Minimize injuries and work around chronic health challenges such as past injuries, stiffness, and medical problems.
- Consider working with a PT or trainer to prevent injuries, learn proper techniques, and increase motivation/accountability.
- Seek medical clearance before starting any exercise program.
Along with following the above, having the right mindset and support can help older adults keep the fitness resolutions they make in 2021!
Interview: Dr. Mimi Secor
Dr. Mimi Secor is a popular National Speaker and Consultant, educating advanced practice clinicians and consumers around the country and the world. She is the author of the book, Debut a New You: Transforming Your Life at Any Age.
Director of Public Relations
Success In Media, Inc.