Carol Barkes is a conflict resolution expert, mediator, national speaker, educator and bestselling author who uniquely applies neuroscience to the fields of conflict resolution and negotiations. Her expert perspective is always fresh and relevant.
on How Businesses Can Help
Make Social Distancing More Effective:
Signs may not work as our brains may not see them. Our brains tend to see things we are interested in and filter out many other things. When I wanted to become a firefighter, I started seeing fire engines everywhere.
Should we assume they put out an entire new fleet just for me? Probably not. Instead, I was now interested in them, and thus, my brain was paying attention to something that didn’t matter before. Likewise with signs, our brains go in autopilot much of the time. Even though we put out signs, our brains may filter them out.
- Instead, consider providing verbal directions when people enter your organization.
- If someone doesn’t follow your signs, assume it is not an evil-plot twist, but rather the results of not noticing the sign. Consider politely sharing your procedures for social distancing.
- Use a gentle smile. These times are scary to our brains. A soft smile when chatting with people generates trust unconsciously. Remember to have your team smile more than ever. It will be greatly appreciated.
- Be the example and be creative. People are currently responding really well to organizations that are trying to keep people safe. Pizza restaurants that are putting an extra box under the pizza when placing it on the ground is a nice gesture. Grocery stores that put directional signs on their aisles show they are concerned about our well being. Businesses that are being creative about how to get their services to the public are inspiring.
- Our world may be changed forever, but that doesn’t mean we still cannot thrive and lead.
Available for Interviews:Carol Barkes
Carol Barkes, CPM, is a trend-setting mediator, business executive and educator specializing in the use of neuroscience to improve business performance, interpersonal communications, negotiation and conflict resolution processes for optimally successful results. She is also a speaker, educator, and author of the bestselling book: Success Breakthroughs: Leading Entrepreneurs and Professionals Reveal Their Secrets for Breaking Through to Success.
PR Managing Editor
Success In Media, Inc.